This Grade II* Listed Building is an 18th Century former Garrison Storehouse and is sited within the fortification of St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly.
In January 2017, Leslie Cornell building Restoration Ltd were engaged in all aspects of restoring this Historic Building. Being such a highly graded Listed Building, our work began with producing an in-depth Heritage Assessment, along with our Architectural Drawings and Plans, to reinforce the Listed Building Consent that was required before any of our restoration works could be undertaken.
With the approval of our Listed Building Consent application, an 8 week process, we were ‘full steam ahead’ with the Project. This all started with the complex logistics of arranging transportation of the Team, materials and equipment from the mainland to the Isles of Scilly, not an easy task with inclement weather isolating the island for days at a time!
Our works finally started and included:
- Removal of existing cementitious pointing applications, on the external walls, and re-pointing using an appropriate Natural Lime/Sand mortar.
- The restoration and decoration of historic windows.
- Removal of the existing surface plaster on the internal walls, lath repairs and introducing an appropriate Lime/sand plaster.
- Introducing an appropriate Natural paint system to the internal walls.
- Removal of existing internal wallpapers and replacing them with new.
- Removal of the existing cast-iron foul waste pipe, and replacing it with a powder coated cast-iron foul waste pipe. This was implemented to extend the lifespan of the pipe.
Leslie Cornell Building Restoration Ltd were on the Island for a duration of 8 weeks undertaking work on this fantastic Historic Building. We are extremely proud of the restoration work we carried out and so were the owners, as you can see from their very complimentary Testimonial.
If you require any services or advice please Contact Us
Building Restoration Isles of Scilly – Building Contractors Isles of Scilly – Heritage Builders Isles of Scilly