Cob Construction in Cornwall
- Published: 28 February 2018 28 February 2018
- Hits: 2095 2095
Cob has been used in construction for hundreds of years and some of these buildings are still standing today.
The advantages of constructing with cob in Cornwall far outweigh the disadvantages. Let's have a look:
- Cob constructions are appealing: They can contain nooks and crannies and can easily be sculpted into various shapes and sizes.
- Cob is inexpensive: It is a mixture of subsoil, straw and water and most of these ingredients can be found on the land you are building on.
- Cob has excellent thermal properties: Houses built with cob have thick walls which have an immense thermal mass, keeping the building warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Cob constructions are environmentally friendly: The ingredients used contain no toxins and are completely natural.
- Cob houses are quiet: Due to the thickness of the constructed walls, the internal space is much quieter.
- Constructing with cob is time consuming: Sourcing, mixing and constructing with cob is very labour intensive.
Building with cob is much easier that modern conventional construction. Below are some important elements to remember during the construction process.
- As with all buildings, you need to start with a good foundation.
- Construct a stone plinth for the cob wall to be built on so that it does not come into direct contact with the ground.
- Throughout the cob wall construction process it is important to have a workable and pliable material. Traditionally, cob walls are constructed in lifts, sometimes as high as half a metre. During the summer months a lift can be introduced each day.
- Windows and doors can be introduced during the construction process, or openings can be made at a later date.
- Make sure you have a good overhang on your roof to protect the cob wall.
Of course, with all constructions they need to be properly maintained and we, Leslie Cornell Building Restoration Ltd, are the Team to help you do that. If you require our assistance, please Contact us.
Cob and Lime Specialists Cornwall - Cob Repairs Cornwall – Cob Rebuilds Cornwall - Cob Assessment Surveys Cornwall – Historic Building Restoration Cornwall